Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fitting for Low Sec is Fitting for High Sec

As many High Sec residents are learning, High Sec by no means is an indication of safety. Sure High Sec is safer, because there is a less pronounced and less spontaneous PvP activity in high sec, but it is not safe. Nearly every high sec PvP victim is a result of fitting with the false expectation of safety.
So what does this mean for the everyday eve pilot? It means that no matter what you are doing, what task you are performing, or what ship you are flying that you fit and prepare for PvP. PvP does not necessarily mean fitting for in your face battle. It means fitting your ship so you can respond appropriately when under threat. In some cases this means fitting your ships for in your face pew pew, but it can also mean fitting your ship for evasion and being able to get out of dodge before it’s too late to get out.
I fit all my industrial type ships (Industrials, Exhumers, Orca) to be able to evade threats. My ships are fitted so that when flown properly, I can bust through gate camps without a scratch. My hulks are fitting to get to warp under 4 second. I also fit most of my ships with ECM or EW modules and a flight of ECM drones that will help me to escape in the unlikely event I do get snagged in a trap. No they don’t guarantee I will get away, but they grant me a dice roll 2nd and 3rd chance to get away.
My mission running and ratting ships are fitted pure ‘poke you in the eye’ PvP. They are not the most efficient for PvE, but when I get snagged, I am not sitting in a PvE ship, I am sitting in a PvP ship. This is something many aggressing PvPers are not counting on. They are counting on you to be fit like rib racks with those little chef hats on each tip, in other words, to die under their fire. However, you can turn the tables on them simply by being ready.
Another long term affect this would have, is if all pilots fit for PvP of one sort or the other (evasion or poke you in the eye), then aggressing PvPers at large will all think twice about your ship being simply a tasty morsel on the buffet table. Beyond your individual survivability, Eve as a whole will change for both the PvP and non-PvP playstyles. There will no longer be the jaded division between pirate and carebear, but the division will more equivocal. Yes it means PvPers will bring larger teams and fly solo less often, but that is good for you, because it means the roams will likely be more condensed, less profitable for the pirates, and therefore a less frequent encounter. Of course that only will happen with a paradigm shift of basic fitting styles at large. BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

4 comments:

Redundant blogger said...

I absolutely agree with you on this point. Pilots constantly perceive high security space as immune from piracy or other such shady shenanigans.

I recently had the pleasure of welcoming a long time friend of mine into the fold and he was versed in the misconception that high security space is safe space.

Not being one for missions I sometimes hunt for those unwise pilots as they are an easy meal, fitted with huge holes in their tank.

As a PvP'er I always fit this way and can vouich for your opinion that empire is probaly less safe than low sec as the sense of security is completely fake.

Fit to win FTW.

Agile Nakajima said...

I fit my Empire missioning ships for PVE. They'd be easy meat for a PVP ship set up to counter them, but if you fly carefully there is no opportunity for non-suicide-gank nonconsensual PVP.
If you're dumb enough to engage a loot ninja in your PVE-special then you only have yourself to blame when he comes back in an Amarr recon and neuts you to a quick and easy death.

I think what I am trying to say is, it's OK to fit some ships for PVE as long as you keep your eyes open and fly smart.

Haulers and mining barges aren't safe anywhere as they are much more vulnerable to suicide ganks, and I entirely agree with you about them.

Shona said...

How do u get a hulk to warp in 4 seconds?

Escoce said...

Agility tank....Istabs and Low Friction Nozzles....implants help too...Rogue AY as well as nomad implants if you can afford them...with a full set of 6 nomads and a Rogue AY-2, you can warp in nearly 3 seconds off a gate. That's not the way to do it though, tha'ts fitting for the belt. The way to fit for gate jumping is with the cloak and overheated afterburner.